Sunday, November 14, 2010

Catcher in the Rye the Second

I'm starting to like Holden a little more now that I'm used to him. He really does seem in love with Jane, but he also thinks like a stereotypical teenage boy (obsessed with girls). That makes it seem more real, I think, but it's not going to make my favorite books list if it continues the exact same way. I want to hear more about Holden's parents, especially his mom, because that could give some clue as to whether or not Holden is crazy.
I like it better than the Odyssey.
On the first page, it swears four times. If that's the average amount of swearing per page, the writing swears approximately 864 times. I was curious.

4 comments:

  1. Agree with the mom. Also, I've noticed Holden seems much fonder of Allie and Phoebe than D.B. He seems to critize D.B. more than adore him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you took time to calculate the number of swear words! I would like to see all the characters in one room together, or maybe just his family or something. But I would also be interested to learn more about his parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ivy the swearing on the first page is not very accurate to the rest of the book... just an fyi. It doesn't necessarily get worse but at some parts it escalades and others it decreases.

    ReplyDelete