Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Catcher in the Rye so far

So far, I don't like Holden. I don't like the way he treats the other guys in his dorm, the way he lies, or his dirty mouth. Holden doesn't like school - I think it's because of all the responsibility and teachers telling him what to do. I think Holden isn't dumb, just foul mouthed and occasionally irresponsible. I don't know if he's always telling the truth. After all, he made it clear that he's an excellent liar.
My first reaction to the Holden, and the book in general, was I can't believe I'm reading this for school. So far, off the top of my head, I can't think of a single book I've read that swears more. The plot is intriguing, but I can't decide whether or not to like Holden.

5 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing as soon as I opened it, but eventually I've decided that I should give Holden a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I the ONLY one who likes Holden?!?! Not only did he teach me all my swear words, but I just like his view on life. Imagine how everyone first reacted to it when it first came out in the 50-60's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, I personally don't like his view as in agree with it but I meant I find it interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why the swearing was controversial at first.
    No, Jenna, you're not the only one who likes Holden, and I'll try to give Holden a chance. Reluctantly.

    ReplyDelete