Sunday, March 13, 2011

Trend Reading

Thank heavens for Google. My trend (the uprising of super/inhuman books) is proving hard to find secondary sources for - things like articles and expert statements - because it's very recent. Any assistance is welcome. For example, my poll. I am going to ask everyone to answer whether or not they have read a book about super/inhumans - vampires, werewolves and the like. Many have asked me why I don't just say vampires. Think of it this way: there are many types of vampires, depending on an author's imagination. One definition (Stephenie Meyer) says that vampires sparkle. That rules out the majority of vampire novels. Another definition says that vampires can be killed/maimed by garlic and crosses. That rules out some of the more recent vampire novels. And what about the werewolves and zombies?
This is an insane topic, but it's fun.
I also have realized that authors influence one another, and to answer some of the questions in my thesis, I have to take a look at the history of paranormal fiction. It goes back a long ways - 1811, first book published for the public on undead creatures in German (translated to English in 1813). Wikipedia is also proving very useful. (Before a storm of Wiki-haters comments, I use it for quick comparisons on dates and plot summaries.) It's fast, and generally reliable.
Any sources for material are welcomed. Remember my poll! It's for the intro or conclusion, though, not a source.

1 comment:

  1. I voted! (As long as Harry Potter counts because otherwise it will take too much thought) I honestly thought you were joking about the sparkly vampires but I guess I should have known. (Well duh, everyone knows vampires sparkle) I appreciate that the poll is in all capitals, it was probably the first thing I noticed.

    ReplyDelete