Sunday, April 17, 2011

Poetry

Someone commented last week that many of the poems through poem a day are disturbing/gross/weird. I agree, but I like about half of them. Some I even like enough to go into my notebook on poets.org (found here http://www.poets.org/notebookdetail.php/prmNotebookID/381071 (hopefully)). What does this say about my poetry tastes? Interesting question to ponder... I already know that I will read long and/or depressing books. I guess the same applies for poetry.
Favorites so far from poem a day: My love is as a fever, longing still and Self portrait as Thousandfurs.
I reread Sick by Shel Silverstein to add it to my collection, and it made me laugh the however many time 'round. Go check it out if you haven't read it.
I only have three more books to go on my Tamora Pierce marathon, and my English teacher is offering a candy reward for the person who reads the most pages in my English class...
Last thing: My stepdad found a book of Robert Frost poetry that I'm going to start soon, and I've decided that he is my second favorite poet, first being Edgar Allen Poe. The Bronte sisters are good, too. Funny - I just noticed, in listing my fav poets, that all of them were depressed at some point in their life. Hmm.

2 comments:

  1. Suppose, hypothetically speaking, if you were to get this candy prize, perhaps you should share with the class because of our... eh... endless support of your reading marathon. Who else thinks this is a good idea?

    Also, if you want to share your poems, I think you might just want to make the notebook public, I'm pretty sure you have to be logged in as you to view the notebook (If that makes sense).

    And don't worry, everyone likes a little depressing or disturbing poetry now and then....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Clara on this one: we all use poetry to help us understand our deep emotions -- some (or most?) of which are sad, disturbing, weird. . .

    ReplyDelete