Monday, October 4, 2010

Read, Read, Read

I've been reading two fiction books the past week - Girl in Blue by Ann Rinaldi and Shark Girl by Kelly Bingham. Girl in Blue was pretty good. It was about a girl, named Sarah Louisa, who runs away from home to join the Union Army in the Civil War, which is mostly illegal, since she's female and sixteen. She gets caught, but then there's a wonderful twist that I totally didn't expect: she becomes a spy. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't the best thing this week. Shark Girl is a book written in poetry and letters. There's a special name for this that I don't remember. The girl is a artist and a surfer. One day, she goes out surfing, and is bitten by a shark. The shark let go, but the doctors had to amputate her right arm from the elbow down. Some person is filming their kids and catches it on tape, and the tape is all over the news. The story is her recovery. Amazing book!
The Odyssey: I'm starting to like this a lot more. I like how Odysseus is telling the story to King Alcinous, so the story is told in first person. Almost the whole time this week I was comparing the Odyssey to Percy Jackson and the Olympians (especially book two). I loved the Noman thing, though it was gorier than I imagined.
A Good Man is Hard to Find: I didn't really like this short story. I loved all the foreshadowing, but it wasn't my favorite plot line. I didn't like the fact everyone dies, and I didn't like the grandmother either. The foreshadowing was brilliant, though, with the grandmother talking about the Misfit all the time. I started to wonder if the grandmother had a little bit of the ability to see the future.

3 comments:

  1. Agree. The Odyssey is better in first person. However, I really thought Scylla was the most gory thing. It made me think of some type of horror movie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! The Odyssey is SO much better in first person!!! And that was really cool with the foreshadowing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the first person as well. Although the Noman part was not one one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete