Sunday, October 17, 2010

Reading

MEAP testing has two purposes that I can see: driving students and teachers stir crazy, and giving bored students an opportunity to read. I read two books I loved: one was Scumble by Ingrid Law, the other was the first book in the Bar Code Trilogy by Suzanne Weyn, called the Bar Code Tattoo.
Scumble was about a boy named Ledger, who gets a savvy on his thirteenth birthday (like a magical power). He has the ability to make things explode. The unfortunate thing is that he can't control it. So, he spends a crazy summer with his family at their ranch in Wyoming. There's a whole bunch of other things going on, too, involving city politics, foreclosures, and enormous butterflies.
The Bar Code Tattoo is a strange concept. It takes place in 2025, and it deals with everyone in America getting a bar code tattooed to their wrist. Kayla refuses to get one, and gets into a bit of trouble, but she finds something scary out - the bar codes contain your entire genetic code. I'm now reading the second book.

4 comments:

  1. Did you know that Rick Riordan has a new book out? It's call The Last Hero. (I've seen it with my own eyes...)

    -jlg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I've heard of Bar Code Tattoo. MEAP testing drives me crazy, that's for sure! Another book from Rick Riordan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I did nothing productive with my extra time after the MEAP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another book from Rick Riordan, as commented by my dad. I've posted about the Bar Code Tattoo before - is that where you heard it, Clara?

    ReplyDelete