Sunday, January 9, 2011

Thoreau First Act

So far, I love The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail, even if it is a little confusing. Am I correct that it's an example of a story that starts in media res?
Something very creepy happened while reading this story, around page 58. I started to get a sense of deja vu - I could just about quote along with the text, and I remembered dreaming about it, complete with my computer next to me, last fall. It was strange - I even got up to go to the bathroom at the same time as the dream I had, and when I had the dream, I hadn't ever heard of the play.
Henry David Thoreau sounds like an interesting character - I think I'm going to find facts about him, but I'm still debating. For a while, I had a Thoreau quote as my iPod wallpaper, and I'm wondering if he's as strange as the play suggests. John Thoreau also sounds interesting, if he's not fictional, and I'm wondering why he died. Rust poisoning seems to be what the book suggests. All throughout the book, I kept wondering if Henry was totally sane, but then I realized I didn't care - he was still my favorite character (so far), insane or not. I also liked Ellen, but I think she should have stood up to her father if she wanted to marry one of the Thoreaus.
So far, so good.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! John Thoreau (Jr) Real person. He really died of lockjaw/tetanus. He was apparently shaving when he cut his thumb. It was never attended to, and so he died, unfortunately. As far as I know, this play is supposed to be completely to the fact.

    ReplyDelete