Sunday, February 6, 2011

R&J Act One

I know the basic plot line of Romeo and Juliet (they fall in love, their parents hate each other, they die), but I never knew that Romeo loved someone before Juliet. I also never knew that Shakespeare wrote such, for lack of a different word, bawdy jokes (look up Act 1 Scene 3 on sparknotes.com if you don't believe me).
I'm enjoying R&J so far, after I got used to the language. I had to keep a dictionary (aka my computer) next to me the whole time. Still, Rosaline fascinates me. Paris, not so much. Juliet's Nurse is a good character, though.
Random thought: Has anyone else realized that on Sims 2, some of the preprogrammed characters (and their relationships) mirror R&J, and A Midsummer Night's Dream? It's in one of the cities that comes with the game.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed 100% with the bawdy jokes... with the old language I didn't actually get them at first. They're actually not too different from the majority of them today, but simply sound less offensive because of how they're worded.

    ReplyDelete